My friend, Allison did a post about public Vs. Private. She asked what everyone's personal opinions are about the issue. I think it is a good idea to get input in what you all think. What is your opinion on Private blogs vs. Public blogs?
I like public blogs because I subscribe on Google reader and it shows me all the blogs that have posted on one page. This makes it a lot less time consuming. I admit that I do not check the private blogs as much because I forget. So, I would love to stay public because I think it gets more people looking at my blog.
On the other hand, I mentioned all the reasons I feel I should go private in this other post . What if there are people out there that like to read my blog who don't feel comfortable telling me they read it because we aren't friends or we don't personally know each other? I admit that a lot of the time I don't ask to be invited unless I feel connected to the person in some way. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy reading their blogs, it just felt uncomfortable. Even if I went to school with them and we know each other but we aren't really "friends" , I sometimes wouldn't ask depending on how comfortable I feel around them I guess.
I think blogs are a journal but they are also a way to socialize. I love to get comments on my blog. I love to hear what other people think. I like to get encouragement when I am having a bad day. I like to know I am not alone in the things I go through. Anyway, with that being said,
What do you all think???
Don't be shy now!!!
5 comments:
I enjoy public blogs for the same reason you do! My Google Reader is a phenomenal tool and it makes it possible for me to keep in touch with lots of people without taking up my entire life clicking on links. That said, I also have been known to do a little non-threatening blog-stalking! I think it's a great way to get to know lots of different people and find friends I haven't been in contact with for years. When you blog is private, that doesn't generally happen. Like you, I sometimes don't feel justified when asking to be added as a reader of a private blog. Then again, there are times when it doesn't bother me at all!
I definitely understand why people decide to make their blogs private--especially if they go into great amounts of detail about their family members and are posting loads of pictures of their kids. Example: my cousin posted a picture of her child in the tub and it was "right-click saved" by some sick-o and put on a kiddie-porn site. WEIRD. You'd think that alone would scare me into having a private blog myself, but it hasn't. I've just tried to be a bit more careful with the pictures I post. However, I definitely do NOT feel the need to censor my thoughts--whether it be public or private. My blog is mine and mine alone, just as yours belongs to you! If people are offended about what I say, they're more than welcome to voice their opinion, and I am not afraid to delete a comment on my blog that I don't agree with. It's honestly too bad that there are people out there who have nothing else better to do than consciously make an effort to ruin the lives of others, or make them feel insecure about certain things. But at the same time--they can only ruin your life and make things difficult if you let them.
I guess I tend to be one of those people who doesn't feel threatened UNTIL I've actually BEEN threatened; does that make any sense? I doubt my blog will ever go private unless someone decides to threaten myself or my family--I don't think off-color comments would make me go private either--I think I'd just read 'em and delete them. Anyway, that was a ridiculously long comment! Hopefully to find what works best for you and your family! :)
I allow my blog to be public for a few reasons. First, even though this is my blog, my thoughts and an extension of my journal, I want to help people and a public blog reaches more people.
I also want to reach people who need to hear stories about life with an Autistic child. There are so many out there that don't get the support and answers they need, having my blog public may help them in some way, even if it is to just let them know they are not alone.
What can I say, at heart, I am a ham! But I have this shy side, and having a blog allows me to speak out on things and be as social or anti-social as I want. I like people to know about me and my family, I like to brag about my kids, husband, etc. I like to speak out on issues and my religion without someone right there that I may offend, who might get confrontational or something. Sometimes "hiding" behind the computer can make you feel safe to say what you need. Then if you offend someone and they leave a comment you can just delete that comment! :)
So I like public. I see both sides but public is for me and I just have a heightened awareness of what pictures I post. I try to protect my kids the best I can with that.
Loves!!
I am on the fence over the subject. I wish it was a little more like myspace in a way (in that someone can request to be your friend)...but w/blogging, they don't really have a way to let you know after you have already gone private and they don't have your email address. Not sure if that makes sense. For now, I like mine being public...but who knows later. It really does make it easier to check in on those w/public blogs, although it's not that hard to just sign-in.
I also keep my blog public. If there is a subject I really need to vent about that I don't want everyone reading I just post it as private so that only I can read it. I don't know it thats is allowed at blogger, but I do it a lot at Vox. I understand your concerns.
I am grateful to keep up with you through your blog and I hope you can come to a decision that makes you both happy and comfortable.
I vote you stay public. Why? Because we all want people to be like us. I am public, so therefore you should be too! See the reasoning?.....
Post a Comment